The following are instructions and preparations you need to be aware of prior to your surgery. Not following these instructions carefully can result in the surgery being canceled. More detailed post-operative instructions will be provided after your surgery.
PREPARING FOR SURGERY:
- You must have nothing to eat or drink, not even water, for 8 hours before surgery. (If you have been advised by your doctor to take any medication before your surgery you may have a small amount of water to do so).
- Brush your teeth prior to your appointment (be sure not to swallow any water).
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes. Be sure to wear short sleeves or a shirt that the sleeves can be easily rolled up past the elbow.
- Do not wear fingernail polish, contact lenses, eye makeup or lipstick.
- You must have a responsible adult over the age of 18 with a car that is able to drive and wait for you in the waiting room during the entire surgical procedure or we will not perform the surgery.
- Rest at home for the remainder of the day. DO NOT DRIVE! Plan to take the following 1-3 days off from work or school.
- Eat soft foods and clear liquids for the first 24 hours following surgery. Examples are soup, jello, mashed potatoes, etc. DO NOT DRINK FROM A STRAW!
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco for one week following surgery.
- Avoid mouth rinses that contain alcohol.
- Your Doctor or Assistant will give you a detailed list of instructions for you to take home on the day of your surgery. These instructions will be reviewed carefully with your guardian that day. They will be given the opportunity to ask any questions they may have.
- You should have a responsible adult remain at home with you for 24 hours after the surgery.
If you develop a cold, sore throat, fever, upset stomach, diarrhea or anything abnormal prior to surgery, please notify the office as soon as possible at Asheville Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Phone Number (828) 820-5180.